2018 Attorney Panel
Click HERE to Register
Free for Members, $20.00 for Guests
Please join us for one of our most popular programs of the year, the Attorney Panel. This program provides members with answers to their employment related legal questions. The Panel will respond to questions on current topics such as FLSA, e-verify, hostile work environment, marijuana use in the workplace, marriage equality and many others. Bring your questions!
This year our panel will include:
- Dalton Green, a partner in the Wilmington office of Hedrick, Gardner, Kincheloe and Garofalo. Dalton's practice focuses on the areas of employment law and workers' compensation. She counsels employers on all aspects of employment law, including hiring and termination practices, policy and handbook drafting, discrimination/EEOC claims, wrongful termination under the NC Retaliatory Discrimination Act (REDA) and Title VII, wage and hour disputes (FLSA), and unemployment claims. Dalton's expertise in the area of employee and employer social media usage has enabled her to present HRCI-accredited seminars on these topic. Dalton will serve as the President Elect for the LCFHRA in 2017.
- John F. Green, a partner at Hall & Green, has been practicing law in New Hanover County for more than 17 years. He has handled cases involving serious injuries, wrongful death, work place injuries, personal injuries, and social security disability. These cases have involved a wide array of injuries, including explosions, burns, amputations, spinal cord damage and severe brain injuries. Many of these injuries force the client and the client’s family to deal with permanent disability which prevents a return to work, and sometimes the serious injuries require life care plans. John received his undergraduate degree from North Carolina State University and completed his law degree at the University of Richmond, School of Law. John joined the law firm in 1997 and was made a partner in 2002. He is a member of the North Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Bar Association, the New Hanover County Fifth Judicial District Bar, and the North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
- Will Oden, an attorney with Ward and Smith, P.A. Will's practice focuses on employment law, workers' compensation, and occupational safety and health law issues. He has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) since 2008 and is a SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP). The Safety and Health Council of North Carolina and North Carolina Department of Labor have certified Will as a Manager of Environmental Safety and Health Programs (MESH). He also is a certified mediator. Will is a past Board Member and President of the LCFHRA.
- Lindsey Surratt, Area SVP, Compliance Counsel for Hill, Chesson & Woody. Lindsey utilizes her knowledge of COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA and areas of the Internal Revenue Code that impact employee benefits to help employers identify compliance concerns and make recommendations to help maintain their conformity under the law. Lindsey specializes in Employer Mandate/Pay or Play Penalty, Health Insurance Exchanges, reform changes to FSA's, new reporting requirements and fees associated with healthcare reform and information associated with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the impact on employers.
- Benton Toups, a partner in the Wilmington office of Cranfill, Sumner & Hartzog. Benton concentrates on representing businesses in all aspects of Labor and Employment Law. He has extensive experience assisting employers with claims of harassment and discrimination under Title VII, the ADA, the NC Retaliatory Employment Discrimination Act (REDA), as well as claims for unpaid wages and overtime pursuant to the FLSA and NC Wage and Hour Act. Benton also represents clients in business disputes and commercial litigation matters and is a certified mediator.