Happy New Year! 2017 is already off to a busy start: Tomorrow, January 20, the country will officially welcome a new president who will join the 115th Congress in moving forward with an aggressive 100 Day agenda, with many issues of importance to the HR profession (health care, immigration reform) at the forefront. Follow SHRM's Government Affairs team on Twitter for the latest from the nation's capital.
As previously highlighted, the now 9,000+ network of SHRM's A-Team will be front and center during this important year for HR advocacy and engagement. Below are some immediate actions and resources to help you get started as a leader for the profession this year:
NEW! 2017 Official SHRM A-Team Calendar
Please be sure to mark your calendars for the following key program dates for A-Team members for 2017:
- Inauguration Day: Friday, January 20
- 1st A-Team Quarterly Strategy/Planning Webinar: Thursday, February 16 at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT (registration details to follow)
- 2017 SHRM Employment Law & Legislative Conference: March 13-15, Washington, DC. Early Bird discount rate ends soon - Register TODAY!
- A-Team Webinar: Thursday, May 11 at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT
- A-Team Webinar: Thursday, July 13 at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT
- A-Team Webinar: Thursday, October 12 at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT
Action Items for Early 2017
- Register for the 2017 Employment Law & Legislative Conference. If you have yet to register, don't miss SHRM's premier advocacy-focused Conference this year. And be sure to sign up for the Advocacy Day/Capitol Hill visits scheduled for Wednesday, March 15. A highlight of the Conference, SHRM will look to its A-Team members as leaders within their state delegations to discuss workplace issues face-to-face with members of Congress this spring. Sign up also for the preparatory and strategic Advocacy Boot Camp and mobilizing Advocacy Day Networking Reception the evening before (March 14).
- Welcome the 115th Congress: Share SHRM's "21st Century Workplace Principles" with Your Lawmakers. Share these Principles with your members of Congress over email or by scheduling an in-person meeting in January or February and further advance the profession in 2017.
- Enter your advocacy efforts and activities moving forward. Visit SHRM's quarterly reporting page for A-Team members so SHRM can better document your various advocacy activities and give credit to engaged members.
- Reminder: Look for incoming A-Team emails in January:
- Advocacy Captains: You will receive your roster of A-Team HR Advocates this month for engagement in 2017.
- Full A-Team: Continue to watch your email inbox for helpful materials and action items for engagement in the first quarter of the year.
Looking forward to these active first 100 Days of 2017 - thank you for your continued support!